Friday, August 10, 2007

The ‘F’ Word



When it comes to matters of the ‘F’ – The Family - I have been a lucky bloke. My parents knew the importance of a tightly bound family, god bless them for that.

Every of my trips home, including this one which I waited for over a year and a half, has been something that I looked forward to. This year, I had started my countdown well ahead, from day 150 on.

Scattered widely at the four corners of my state and in the neighbouring one, we have never been closer. Every one of us counted days on the fingers of our hands to the day when all would descend to one house. And then, laughter, fun, and unbound love would come together. And it did.

On the very first day of my vacation, my grandmother fell ill. And the hospital became the family. From the four corners came the family, just like that, and room No. 502 suddenly became the next meeting ground. The pall of gloom usually associated with a hospital suddenly became a stranger among us. All was well.

During our get-togethers, memories are always an important compatriot. Blunders done during growing up years always came back to haunt me and my cousin brothers/sisters. None were spared. And when fourteen people sit together, some on chairs and some on the floor, there is never a dearth of smile-worthy topics. And that’s why I love my family get-togethers.

I have been lucky to have strongly-bound families on both sides. I don’t know if I would have turned out the way I am, for better or for worse, had it not been for this group. I owe my way-of-life to them.

I am content.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Neer said...

whoa! i envy you!

amna said...

couldnt agree more! me too just back from a thee-week vacation and already looking forward to the next!

Mosilager said...

I'll go do that very soon as well. My family is pretty tight-knit too. Too bad your grandma's illness had to be the excuse for everyone to join up :( hope she is better now.

Anphy said...

Its a lil late to comment , still.
I have the habit of counting hours before going home :)

Anonymous said...

hehe...i know i know...the same memories told again anad again...yet keeps us laughing all the while through...