Sunday, November 05, 2006

Old Christmas Tree…


Its 50 days to Christmas. For the first time in half that number of years, I will celebrate it away from home.

Christmas, 53 years ago, was the time when a second reason to celebrate the day was introduced to this world. Though my father says that he lacks a day to call his own, we say that no one but the whole world celebrates with him.

Christmas, 23 years ago, is the first memory I have of the rickety train journey, from a then small town of Cochin, to an even smaller town called Thiruvalla. Grandparents keeping their eyes peeled to see their second generation always counted as a blessing for me.

Christmas, seven years ago, was the time I fell in love with music, and the church choir. It was the time I knew, that my deep bass voice could be used in singing notes.

Christmas, a year ago, was ten days before I knew about my dad’s heart surgery. For the second time in three weeks, I boarded the plane for just the third time in my life. Frozen with fear, I landed at Chennai. But thank god, the New Year was born a happy child.

Christmas, now and for ever, will be a major reason I would continue to miss home, and my parents, and all that I hold near and dear. It would be the season that gave me the most to remember.

Present day, 3000 miles away from home, Christmas will be my private pain, as much as it is my public joy.
 Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Sherry's Works said...

know what, i guess you've reached an orbit- when it comes to blogging, ie. And a good one, i should note.

but hee hee: your "deep bass" voice? sure sure. Am sure u'll be mentioning ur long thick fearsome tiger moustache in the next post.

MISSquoted** said...

i wish i had a festival to call my own...

a)hope ur dads ok now.
b)i haven linked to you yet ;-)
c)oh and ho! ho! ho!

Nachi said...

Christmas became a family affair 18 years ago when my sister was born!!

...and one more reason to buy that ticket to Mauritius this december...

glad to see you'r back to blogging...

Arti Honrao said...

N the nostalgia creeps in ...

Good Post
GBU
Arti

Jina said...

oye greeker..u r tagged..

Rajasee Ray said...

christmas to me is about the lights and the confetti and the straemers and plastic trees crowding up the centre of New Market.
And midnight mass and the church bells.
The few times i have ever been to church.

And yes, its about family and home, much more than any festival of my own religion could ever be. Which is funny, but that's the way it is.
And this is one more beautiful post that makes your "li'l space" what it is. :)

Anonymous said...

Dont worry mate...this is called living the life..FOr last 4 years I havent celebrated a single festival at home..so my situation is worse off than u..but cheer up am sure this christmas you will have plenty of things to please u around. Besides usual candies and cakes, hope there are enough Arabian fairies to keep you interested and excited about...

< Guess who..have you got laid yet?? >

Sharan Sharma said...

ah, you're back...

freespirit said...

hey pal....I hope you have a fun filled and merry christmas this year. Isn't there a big mallu christian clan out there celebrating and singing carols?